Tuesday 26 May 2009

On love, logic and neurotransmitters

Is it just me, or does love seem to set even usually right-thinking people on the fast track to stupidville? People seem to have the idea that love is something ethereal, something that only poets truly understand. The cultural fallout from this notion is everywhere ('true love', 'love at first sight', etc.).

I must have heard the words 'but it's love, you can't explain it with logic and science' (love is all just hormones and neurotransmitters, people) a million times, and given the requisite explanation a million more. And don't get me started on the girl who told me, after she overheard me talking to someone else, who shares my views on this (they do exist!), 'science takes all the emotion out of everything, it shouldn't be allowed to mess with love', and then, when I tried to explain, 'I don't care about science, it doesn't matter'. When scientists save your life one day, you may think differently.

Can we please, as a society, move on from putting love on a pedestal as this untouchable, pure, poetic thing? It's a remnant of the evolutionary pair-bonding imperative, which exists to maximise the continuation resilience of the species. Nothing more, nothing less. Repeat after me: love is all just hormones and neurotransmitters...

0 comments:

Post a Comment